Re: Braille: A philosophy

i gotta be honest, I don't read braille nearly as much as I should. I know it, pretty well, but don't read it much, because yeah... I prefer to read audiobooks. Not only because i can just listen, but braille books are quite huge. One harry potter book, for example, is like 5 volumes at least. Its much more convenient to read audio.
As for my spelling, its pretty bad, probably because of the fact I don't rea braille that much. However, I still know it, and do read it. Braille signs, or my braille note touch, or math work, are all in braille. Yes, I use braille on my touch rather than speech. I actually turn off the speech most of the time and just read everything.
But, although I do turn to audio when I can, I still know there's always going to be a time for braille. Many people I know who go to a blind school hardly know braille. Yet another reason i dislike those schools... You aren't forced to read. Apparently its more independent that way? Fo r another topic. anyway, people I know don't even hardly know braille at all. And, honestly, that pisses me off. Braille is reading. If you don't know it, you don't know how to read. I was at a summer camp in july, and someone asked me to read the sign for a room because he didn't know contractions. Seriously? While I don't always read braille, it is still important to know. It may be dying... Slowly... But same with cursive writing i guess... I do think it is very important to know braille, because if you don't you basically don't know how to read.