Re: Braille: A philosophy

Hello everyone. I did a little research on this a while back. Let me give you some recent shocking statistics to show you the magnitude of the Braille Literacy crisis.
Out of all blind people in the world, approximately 75% of them are unemployed. Also 10R of blind people read braille while the rest of them resort to auditory solutions alone. This is in comparison to 40 years ago, when 50 percent of all children in the United States were reading braille. Now I know that the wealth of individual citizens of other countries has to be taken into account here, but still, this is a shocking decline, and I fully support any organization that advocates for braille literacy, as I believe the unemployment rate for blind people would increase in a major way if more learned braille and used it often academically and in the workplace. I am pleased to inform all if you don't know that the price of braille displays is being addressed slowly and surely. Orbit Research has made a Brail le display that is priced at 450 dollars, and can refresh with 20 cells. This is a start, and I am confident that it will continue to grow. Also The affordability of Assistive Technologies (that includes baille displays) might increase because of an act introduced by two senitors that will go into affect soon. This bill is supported by the National Federation of the Blind and is known as the Accessible Technology Affordability Act *ATAA( which will allow those who have a job and are eligible to purchase assistive technologies to be given a 2500-dollar tax credit over a 3-year period, in order to purchase such technologies. With money flowing in from income, I think this could increase literacy for bkubd people. I hope that action can be taken in several countries to increase worldwide braille literacy and the proliferation of digital braille.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Rory via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : NicklasMCHD via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : JimmyDub via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dragomier via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : superb via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : togira ikonoka via Audiogames-reflector