A Question About the Sword Of Truth Series

Hi.
I've read the first four books in the series, and I'm reading the fifth, soul of the fire right now. I'm wondering when Richard Rahl finally learns how to use his magic? I read temple of the winds, when he goes into the temple he learns how to do everything, but he has to forget once he leaves. I'm a little frustrated with the whole contrast, he has the most powerful magic in thousands of years, but he doesn't know how to use it, and doesn't really have time to learn. So if you could please tell me when he learns magic, and in what book? It's a little irritating to read about other people in the series using magic, and it's not really talked about how to use it, just they do a spell, I'd really like to know more about the magic system in the series and how it works. Please no spoilers if you can avoid them, if you can't no worries.
Thanks.