a few killer instinct questions

Just picked up this game because of the many interesting characters, and I have a few questions that have probably already been answered somewhere around here but oh well heh. So when it comes to doing combos, I'm noticing that if I just spam a directional button with an attack I seem to be ay ok, but I did some reading and found some complex looking combos with special moves and such. My question is why bother learning them if you can just press one button again and again and get crazy combos? What I mean is, when you do spam, are the combos being performed incorporating specials already? Or is it just a big string of normals. I'm using jago to train with right now, and I've been able to do some combos by just button mashing, but also some incorporating specials, and I'm just not really noticing a difference. I am brand new to this series though. My favorite part about the game so far is the music, it's absolutely beautiful at times and epic when it needs to be.