Re: SoniFight v1.0 now available

Sorry to hear it's not working - but I might possibly know why... I've created some modified versions of the SoniFight_x86 executable to test the theory that it's down to me not fixing the SF thread culture. There's a couple of steps to this, so only have a crack when you have the time.

Step 1 - grab the following test versions of SoniFight from https://www.dropbox.com/s/66j6aiw8xte7k … s.zip?dl=0 and extract. There's just two versions of the exe in the zip which extracts to a "SoniFight_Test_Versions" folder. There's one where I lock SF's thread and UI culture to english, and another where I lock it to Culture.InvariantCulture (which should be the same as locking to english, but I'm not 100% sure so I included both versions just in case).

Step 2 - copy both exe's into the bin\x86 folder of wherever your version of sonifight lives and launch one of them directly from the exe (not the batch file in the SoniFight folder as that's linking to the standard, non-modified version).

Step 3 - launch steam and go to a game that isn't sonifying properly (SF4, DoTT etc) and right-click on the game then select the Properties option from the pop-up menu. This opens a "<GAME_NAME> - Properties" window, from which we need to go to the Language tab and make sure the dropdown saying "Select the language to play this game in" has the option "English" selected and then click the close button and launch the game.

Unfortunately it's likely you'll need sighted assistance for this as Steam's such a PoS for accessibility (which is absolutely ludicrous). I'll try and avoid steam versions of games in the future. I just thought it would keep everyone's game versions in sync to avoid any different-configs-for-different-versions hassles - but it's just so awful for screen readers to work with that it replaces potential version problems with its own problems.

Step 4 - Try a relevant config and check if it provides correct sonification now. If it still doesn't work then try the other test version.

I tried launching SF4 in french mode and the 'string-matching' pointer chain that sonifies the menus grabs the french text without any issues, which means that in theory a french version of the config could be made by simply changing the 'match-text' criteria and the tolk output of what to say when the match is made. So that's nice to know, but if neither of these test exe's work for you then I'm completely out of ideas as to why that might be.

Fingers mightily crossed!!

Final thought: When you say that both games show "American English" in the properties, you mean the properties that show up when you right-click the executable and choose properties in file explorer, yeah? My SSFIV.exe shows "Language Neutral" in the details tab of that, while DoTT.exe shows "English (United States)" as the language - but these are likely the default languages, not necessarily the languages that will be used. To specify that, make sure the in-game language as specified by Steam's properties | language setting is set to English as detailed above.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : SirBadger via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : r3dux via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : r3dux via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : BlindJedi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : blindndangerous via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : r3dux via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : SirBadger via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : SirBadger via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : r3dux via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : r3dux via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : firefly82 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Game Man via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Game Man via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Game Man via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : SirBadger via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : death via Audiogames-reflector