Re: A Little Decoding Challenge

The basic laymen's difference between encoding and encryption is that encoding is more of a substitution where encryption is a deliberate obfuscation of the plane text.
for example, an encoding might be I substitute all of the letters on the forum here for numbers. a being 1 b being 2, and so on. Annoying yes, but trivial to brake especially if you know the way to untangle my dirty work. the key here is the 1-to-1 mapping of letters to numbers. this is the same way you can right letters as binary values, hex values, or octal values; the text is still there, it is just in a different form. On a side note, people say a lot of times to me that braille seems like a different language. I have never agreed with them, but now I think I know how to answer them. It is an encoding. there are more advanced levels of encoding that aren't quite so trivial and they boarder more on the level of encryption.

Encryption on the other hand takes the plane text and runs it through many algorithms of hashing, modular math, and exponentiation. the key is the password. that password drives the encryption algorithm and gives you the output of gibberish. you can not reverse the encryption without the password. in encryption I can not say that a = 1 or b = 2. a good encryption algorithm needs to use more entropy than that.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : john via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : john via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : john via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Rocky Waters via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Kyleman123 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : john via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : NicklasMCHD via Audiogames-reflector