Problem with new version of dreamy train

Hi,
so, right in time for christmas there was a new update for the train simulator from MM, dreamy train.
But the game doesn't work for me at all. I tried running it with applocale, and I also tried with my system locale set to Japanese, but every time I start the game I just get jumbled signs instead of propper text.
Does anyone know what the problem is here?
Thanks
Tikki