Hypothetical Questions About Mud Building with Coffeemud Engine

Let's say you were building a Mud with the Coffeemud engine.

1. Does anyone know the rules about building areas that relate to books, TV, etc? Can you do that at will, or do you need copyright permission?

2. This question may be hard to explain but I'll do my best.
Say you want to make 100 areas.
You start work on Area 1, but then you get inspired and decided you'd like to work on Area 12.
Area 1 is all you have, so you build a room off of that in a particular direction, and define it as part of Area 12.
Does mud mapping work in such a way that you can come back into Area 1 and fill in rooms?
In other words, if you built another Area 1 room in the same direction as that Area 12 start room, would the Mud just push that area 12 room further out, so that your Area 1 would be coherent?