Re: Research: Game Audio in Audio Games

Hi BlackBird!

Very interesting comments, and trust me, I am very happy to see that you debate my work.
And I can take criticism! smile

First of all, I apologize for the protected file.
I did not password protect the file, and I see now that the file that I uploaded to the publishing platform is not the very same as the published one.
My local file is PDF 1.5 and not password protected, while the published one is 1.6 and protected.
I have actually spent a great deal of time ensuring myself that the document should be accessible, and I even made alternative descriptions of the few images and tables that are presented.

I don't think I can do much about the official published version, but maybe we can upload a second unprotected version here on the AudioGames.net resources page?
For now, feel free to use this dropbox link to an unprotected version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/43xg1dtuq1w32 … Thesis.pdf

I hope that one will work better for you!

Otherwise, as far as the first-person 3D perspective goes, I really needed to make some demarcations, as the thesis is already very wide-aiming.
I couldn't possibly fit anything more in it, unless I wanted to write a book. smile
And note that I did also emphasize that I wrote the thesis from the perspective of a sighted person with more previous experience of playing video games than audio games, and that I warmly recommend research on the topic from many other perspectives as well. smile
I don't think there are any right or wrong perspectives to approach the topic of audio games with, and only by exploring many of them can we start to understand the whole picture.
I guess you can say that this is an attempt to explain sound in audio games mainly based on theories and viewpoints from previous research of sound in video games and other audio-visual medias, in order to show the main differences between the two. smile

I suppose it could make sense to use "Input-Process-Output" instead of "Player, Game System, Virtual Reality", but since it deals more with audio games based on a humanities approach (and even semiotics) rather than from an engineering and technology perspective, I felt that this explanation would be more representative.
It also made more sense to me to structure the thesis in this manner, in order to relate previous research to the different entities.

And for your last comment regarding the indie scene on PC/mobile, do you refer to the indie scene for audio games or video games?

Thank you again for you inputs, BlackBird! It's always interesting to hear other people's thoughts! smile

  • [Audiogame... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Balooba
    • [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Balooba
    • Re: [... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Balooba
    • Re: [... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: BlackBird
    • Re: [... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: BlackBird
    • Re: [... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Balooba
    • [Audi... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Balooba
    • Re: [... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: BlackBird
    • Re: [... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: ianr
    • Re: [... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: BlackBird
    • Re: [... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: BlackBird
    • Re: [... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: BlackBird
    • Re: [... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: BlackBird
    • Re: [... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Balooba
    • Re: [... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: moshverhavikk
    • Re: [... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Shan05740