Re: Announcement, musical professor banned from the forum

I'm going to be brutally honest here. I agree with the ban, but I also think he had a point.

I've seen all kinds of flaming, swearing, insults and the like that probably merited more action than they got, so it feels just a wee bit as if this guy was made an example of.
I do not for a second suggest that his behaviour should've been let to stand. Whether or not he was originally joking, he was rude and abrasive and hostile. That's not okay. But I've seen equal and worse on the forums from members who were given warnings or very, very temporary bans, to the best of my knowledge. I'd have to go digging through years of back posts to find what I'm talking about, and I don't really want to do that.
So I'm not at all left with the idea that you treated this dude unfairly, but I'm not certain that standards are being evenly applied, either. I would, in point of fact, probably be a touch more harsh overall than you guys seem to be, particularly in more serious cases of flaming and trolling and insults and stuff that periodically break out on the board.
So I suppose what I'm saying is that it surprised me a little to see this guy get a permanent ban. Not a six-month ban, or a one-year ban, but a permanent ban. Never coming back. I would've thought that sort of reaction would be for, say, distributing hacks, linking to illegal material, stalking in the true sense of the term, stuff like that.

But that's just my two cents' worth. I'm not asking or expecting you to further justify yourself. I understand what was done and why, and I think the bits I've seen are pretty freaking silly and definitely merited some firm form of punishment. I'm just not a hundred percent sure about the severity of the infraction vs. the severity of the punishment, given the severity of other infractions which have been allowed to slide. I mean, do we not have at least one forum member here who has a known history, however reformed he may be now, of hacking/illegally modifying code? To me, that's a much greater threat to the community at large than one loose cannon with a bunch of distasteful things to say.