Re: Monthly chat January 2018

Hmm, Dark, you have a good point there about the glasses. All I can say is that apparently Aira is targeted at people who's vision is so poor that glasses wouldn't do them any good. In my case, before I lost my vision, I did wear a pair of very strong and thick bifocals, but once I started using the long white cane, I realized that the glasses weren't doing anything useful any more, so I quit wearing them.

As for the Aira glasses themselves, they are a commercial product called Glasses Cam, which Aira loads their software onto. They resemble a pair of Aviator sun glasses, Aviator being a brand, not a type. Attached to the right temple is the camera in a long thin case with a couple of buttons on it. The back of the right temple, behind the ear, is where the batteries for the camera are stored.

The glasses connect to the world and the Aira service via WiFi, so you also have to carry around a WiFi hotspot that connects to the internet using a cellular data connection. Part of your monthly subscription pays for that connection. The hotspot is about the size of an iPhone 5, but about twice as thick and an inch shorter. It has two buttons on it though you only need one of them. You also get a cloth bag to store the glasses in when they are not in use, a USB charging adaptor, and a micro USB charging cable which is used for both the glasses and the hotspot. To all of this I'm adding a Bluetooth earpiece with a mike so I can use the service hands free. While at home, I can just use my iPhone in speaker phone mode, but if I'm out and about, I'd rather keep my phone in my pocket, instead of in my hand, so I'll use the earpiece. I chose the earpiece design over a headset design because where I'll be using it, I don't want to cover both ears, I'll want to be able to hear my environment.

I myself would have preferred a hard case for the glasses with enough room to store the hotspot and a Bluetooth earpiece. Not only would it provide better protection for the glasses, it could keep all the pieces I need to use the service in one place.

I'm sorry to hear that cold is still bothering you, but at this point, probably all you can do is try to treat the symptoms so you don't feel quite so rotten and let it run it's course.

Sounds like despite being in the 21st century, that university is still stuck in the dark ages. Go figure!