Re: Monthly chat January 2018

That depends on you. While you are connected to the service, your assistant sees what the camera sees, and talks to you through the connection on your phone. It's like having a sighted person at your side to describe to you what's around or what's going on, or they can help you with a task that needs sighted help to accomplish.

One example of how I'll use it is that I get my voting ballots mailed to me. I fill them out, then mail them back so my vote can be tallied. In the past I had to wait for a family member to be available to do this, next time I'll use Aira!

You can get a free example of what Aira is like by getting the Be My Eyes app for your phone. Like Aira it connects you to a sighted person who will see what you show them by aiming the phone's camera and talks to you through the phone. The difference is that with Be My Eyes, you are working with untrained volunteers, while with Aira you work with trained assistants who are under non disclosure agreements to protect anything they learn about you while working with you. And Be My Eyes is free. Other than that, the experience is very similar.