Re: If there would be a way for getting your sight back, would you do it?

To further accentuate my point and my dislike of the NFB, I will tell you about a brief conversation I had with one of my former teachers of the visually impaired. They are going to be immersed in assisting nursing and assistive living facilities deal with people who do not have adequate vision to function in their environment. While that topic is outside of this scope, somewhere along the trail, they wandered towards a controversial topic involving the attitudes held by a large majority of members of the National Federation of the Blind. It's what was said that I really liked. Let's back up to when we were just young, curious and playful tykes. We probably remember being told, from time to time, 'work together, help others, be kind,' you name it. Sadly, many people have forgotten these truths by the time they reached adulthood.

When I went to my first NFB-sponsored event, I was assuming that I would be guided by either a fellow blind person, or someone who had vision. Sadly, that came to naught. I didn't know that nobody thought I had a hearing loss. Those who could see that I wore hearing aids spoke in very arrogant voices, which I took no liking to. Nobody takes kindly to being yelled at, even people with residual hearing, such as myself.
When I came back to school, my new teacher of the visually-impaired had informed me that, for better or worse, I should be more interdependent instead of independent. That way, I wouldn't be working all alone for the rest of my life.

When my former teacher dropped me off earlier this afternoon, we talked about that very problem. The NFB wants people to be completely independent, all the time, every time. So, the big question is, why? Is it because the NFB is afraid that if society sees a group of blind people being led by a sighted human guide, they would assume people were helpless? Going back to what I said about guide dogs, how do you expect to compare a dog guiding you versus a human?

Also, I agree that the stages of blindness, and the stages of grief are all just a pattern of observations that are to be expected in the average human in Western culture. That is not to say, however, that everyone will have these stages in this order. But, at the same time, how you present this information, be it noble or militant, will matter the most, as each and every individual will interpret it differently. It's not what you say, but how you say it.