Re: The right way. Choose between C# and Python for audio game development

Hi there,
@Nikita: completely wrong way of thinking imo. I have already mastered C# on Windows and Android and I have also some good knowledge on Python. I also know C++ and am now starting to learn _javascript_, which seems interesting too.
So I can give you answer using knowledge from both sides, C# and Python.
Do you know, what is the most funny when we're comparing c# and Python? It is fact, that nearly all libraries for both languages targeting game development were originally wrote in C++, and their implementations in C# or Python are just wrappers. big_smile
So whichever language you choose, you will end working with probably the same libraries.
Just implementations will be different.
So, my advice, choose one language and learn object oriented programming. if you do so, nothing will stop you from studying every possible library with good documentation or examples.
I personally would recommend C# to do this. Not because it is faster, cooler, blah, blah, blah, but because it has flags for nearly all oop operations like virtualizing, making method or class abstract, static etc. and then checks for example if you overridded all necessary methods in child classes and shows errors if you didn't. It also forces you to think object oriented, what is good too. Whatever you're doing in programming, always use classes and objects. Programming using functions only may look good in some cases, but believe me, it is a direct way to very very hot and spicy hell.
And that is regardless of programming language you're using.

Only true difference between Python and C# is that C# is statically, typed, Python dynamically. That is everything with all stuff hidden beiond.
I have been working on BgtKit, a multilanguage library bringing abilities of BGT to mainstream languages. It supports also C# and Python. I'm developing it for every language using its best libraries and concepts of writing code. And there were no things I wasn't able to reach in both languages. Except two, first is hrtf, which is very easy to implement in Python because of libaudioverse, but requires some struggling on C# side with Fmod, which i was lazy to do because I don't consider hrtf as a important feature.
And second is the ability of WPF, Windows Presentation Foundation, a gui system of C# to catch keyboard shortcuts without interfering with Jaws. This is something I am not able to understand after years. I've tried tons of libraries for Python and C++ - WxPhoenix, PyQt5, SFMl, SDL, I have tried also native functions of global keyboard handling like GetAsyncKeyState from user32.dll but none of them was able to colaborate with Jaws. Only WPF works without any problems.

So use whatever you like.
Still not able to choose? Then i can recommend you my method of choosing libraries to use for my projects, when there are multiple choices and their abilities are nearly equal. Select thatone with the most cool name. smile
Just pronounce... C Sharp... doesn't it sound amazing? big_smile

Best regards

Rastislav

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jonikster via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kianoosh via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : roelvdwal via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Liam via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jonikster via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : roelvdwal via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : oussamabengatrane via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Rastislav Kiss via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jonikster via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jonikster via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : pauliyobo via Audiogames-reflector