Re: has anyone noticed blind schools being sheltered areas?

Well, I personally can't relate to any of these stories, because I've thankfully never attended a school for the blind. But I'll tell you what, the school here in Kentucky sucks. Ever since there superintendant retired a while ago, it has been government run. And as usual, the government screws everything up, so you can just imagine what that school turned into. Sometimes on the weekends, I'd hang out and talk  with some of my friends that go there, and if the conversation ever turned to school, there'd be something like thirty minutes to an hour of depressing statements about KSB. They have staff there that just have no interest in there jobs, subsequently turning everyone's education into a complete and utter failure. Heck, they don't even offer A P english or science courses, so they have to provide bus  transport to a nearby high school so that kids who want to take those classes, can.
The food is somewhat close to prison issue (cheap as they can possibly get it, but that's true for most public schools). The independent dorm program (live on your own and provide for yourself) is about to collapse because they don't have enough staff to supervise it, along with everything else on that campus. Every little change has to be approved by the Kentucky department of education. And that, as well, sucks. I hear the dorms aren't to nice either... And you are not under any circumstances, except on specified outings, allowed to leave campus. The only really good programs they have there are music and sports, both of which will probably have to disappear by the end of the year. Somewhere around 8000000 dollars are being cut out of the educational budget for the entire state, and that won't leave too terribly much room for anything special.
But as far as these types of schools being sheltered, I guess it just depends on the school. Here, at least, student's are not given a proper representation of the real world at all. Well, except for the essential lesson that sometimes, life sucks. Because nothing goes right at the Kentucky School For the Blind, and if it continues on the course it's on, it'll be closed in about 2 years.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BlindJedi via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BlindJedi via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : hurstseth405 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Erick via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : hurstseth405 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Thatguy via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mata via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : musicjunky via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : hurstseth405 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : hurstseth405 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : hurstseth405 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : harrylst via Audiogames-reflector