Re: how to set up raspberry pi out of the box blind

Thank you all for the advice.

The way I had things set up is I had a sd card with noobs burned onto it, so I just popped it into my windows 10 machine, found the boot partition no problem and created the empty ssh file using cmd.

Then putting the sd card back into the pi, I proceeded to plug in the pi power into my laptop  and connected the two computers using a ethernet cable.

I let the pi boot and do it's thang for a while. Then I tried :
ssh pi@raspberry
but that didn
t work. So, I used nmap tool to check for devices networked via ethernet to my laptop and of course there was onlyu one other device in the network, the pi. so I took that ip address and used it in lieu of the hostname and ssh worked no problem.

I turned on internet sharing on in my windows laptop and the pi connects to the internet just fine.

I am using the pi for a class on operating systems and don't need the pi to interact with any other computers, so this set up works great for me.