Re: Going Linux

Yes, but Arch is not the only distro around.

Personally.....I've had a lot less issues with the stock distros, Ubuntu, Solus Mate/Gnome, even hwhen I ran Fedora in a VM....than with specialized 'accessible' distros though. That's something to bear in mind. I'm not on about Arch, i'm on about what I, personally have experienced.

@Iron: You could have prefaced your post by saying you're on about one or two specific branches and/or distros.

@Ethin: Not everyone runs Arch. I wanted to, but the whole host of issues I've had with Jenux have put me off of it nuking a HD in the process....sorta puts me off Arch for life, really.

Personally, I'd much rather just install a system, hit next, next, next, install it, boom, done. Enable Orca, and.....go from there, and tweak my system as I go. I like the idea of 'accessible first' Distros, your Vinuxes, Coconuts, Jenuxes, Sonarrs of the world, but (in my case) I find they include a lot of stuff I personally don't need or use.

No distro is 100% perfect. Ubuntu, for example doesn't have certain things I want (Seamonkey's a big one) in its official repos. Arch requires me to read a lot to install, or read my way through the wiki and double check each step. Fedor'as a bitch to get running. Mint's using Ubuntu's repos, see Ubuntu's issues in htis sentence....and so forth.
My ideal distro would be:

Simplicity of Ubuntu to install
Power and software choice of Arch
Orca out of the box on a live desktop image
Idiot proof but I can dive into a termianl
Desktop choices
No need to reinstall for point releases
Works great on older hardware

So....I know that distro won't happen unless I feel like making it. Soooo......closest I can get?

Or, ya know, that distro could be out there and I just not found it yet.