Re: Mathematical software?

@Origine: interesting, how does Jaws read math equations in word to you?
I have tried it some time ago, but Jaws wasn't able to recognize many characters like letters, brackets etc. It read blank instead of being quiet like when it doesn't know concrete character.
I have Word 2013.

When I want to write a document with math involved, there is an asciimath _javascript_ script:
http://asciimath.org/
Which after including in html header allows you to write equations just like this:
output on result page is rendered of course in Mathml, thus very readable for us.

There is also an option to write in LaTeX, this can be useful if you need to export to formats like pdf or others, of course equations there are not that accessible like those on web rendered by mathml.

Both options are however for more serious mathematical use, a high school student who just wants to go through math lessons and satisfies with good notes probably won't need them.

And when we are already in high mathematics, have you already tried:
https://wolframalpha.com/
? Wolfram developers are very willinng toward blind community. Few years ago, when you entered an input, you got a result in form of unlabeled images. So I wrote them what was happening and after some time, the images got labels!
Some time later they changed graphic rendering algorithm. Images weren't any more a part of html, but instead rendered like a graphics on canvas, so screenreader wasn't able to even detect them. Thus there was no way to get their labels with results.
So I wrote my feedback again and now after you click on some block with results, a menu appears where you can choose to show results in playn-text format.

Regarding quality, wolframalpha is really amazing at this. it can give you tons of details on whatever math structure you enter in.
For example, if you write a function, you will get its plot, roots, complex roots, derivative, indefinite integral, series expansion and more.
If you write any general equation, including functions, or you can write system of equations as well if you wish, Wolfram will give you solutions, complex solutions and alternate forms, containing various possible simplifications as well.
Also you can ask for more concrete things like the first derivative of x^2+10. Because of natural language processing, you don't need to remember any syntax, but can ask just like this.
And finally, Wolframalpha is not only powerful calculator, but rather a semantic search engine. You can enter chemical equations, physical equations, questions from various part of science or just ask like "Who was the leader of USA in 1982?"

It is really powerful, I use it when I need to verify my mathematical conclusions.
They also have their own language - wolfram language. Philosophy behind it is bit more complicated, but it is similar to matlab, I haven't tried matlab so i can't tell if more or less powerful. Wolfram language allows you to perform complex mathematical calculations and build programs, while you can join your calculations with large knowledge database of wolfram to write equations like c = a + distance between Washington DC and Tokio.
it contains lot of features, like a native support for neural networks or computation in cloud. Wolfram has an editor called Mathematica to work with Wolfram language, but there is also wolframscript, what is a fully console environment like python.

If you are interested in mathematics and science, I definitely recommend to give it a try. smile

Best regards

Rastislav

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : nuno69 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : siria via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : nuno69 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Rastislav Kiss via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Rastislav Kiss via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : gonzalez2016s . alovver via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : electro via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Origine via Audiogames-reflector