Re: I Wanna Smack Python Upside the Head

People expect AAA quality from modern audio games. That's just not happening without a budget. Who is making audio games with a decent budget? cause The Gate was somewhere in the neighborhood of $1k, and people still complained about the sounds and acting. Switching to Python changes none of that. Like, what changes if VGStorm games were made in Python? The antivirus thing, and an extra 12mb of file size.
Does AHC have passable quality? Well, congrats; that was over $10k, and still commercial.
Swamp and BK don't use super realistic 3d virtual reality orgasmosound, and are still big deals, many years after their release.
Don't misunderstand me, Kakarot. I've been trying to make games in Python, too. Mysteriously, the BGT games are the only ones that get ... uploaded to Sendspace, mostly because of *rereads post#1* ... nothing to do with those, actually, even though those very problems are a serious barrier to doing anything that isn't a side-scroller. But it's mostly just the same crap that I'm always whining about. It's just worse with Python because it has dependency cascades along with all the problems I left Java for in the first place.
Sure, BGT doesn't support 3d sound. ... Wait, no, I was told to use ctypes to get fmodex to work with Python, which is different from Genoa's BGT wrapper for Fmodex only in that it has better support for geometry and reverb. (And I wrote a C wrapper that should make reverb available to BGT, if I can figure out htf my compiler broke and fix it).
We are poor and cannot use drag-and-drop gamedev tools. AAA games are better compared to Holywood. It's a miracle every time an audio game that isn't mostly crap is released, given what we have to work with. I don't care what language it's in; I care if it's fun. Fun does not require hyper realistic 3d AAA audio. It requires good game design, and good content to go with it certainly helps.
*sigh* pumping out generic FPS games that are basically Audio Dramas with combat would be a viable strategy to succeed at audio games, wouldn't it? ... OK, someone try this, and I'll try to come up with a story to fail to convince you to make into  one of these. You know, because everyone and their dog is going to have one to request if it actually works.
But sure, BGT isn't so great if what you want is a first person short film with fights. _javascript_ might be, if it wasn't even more convoluted than Python when it comes to PLAYING AN EFFKING SOUND! Which brings us back to the nightmare of dependency scavenger hunts, along with the bonus round that is dependencies mysteriously breaking for no apparent reason but also somehow working differently if you import modules in a different order even though that wasn't the case on the other account and DOCTOR OCTO-MOTHER-FUNDIN'-GONOPUS BLBLBLBLAAAAAA!

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : skluttrell via Audiogames-reflector