Re: How should mainstream developers make interfaces accessible?

@3:
There are scenarios where in-universe voice acted speech might be preferable but only relatively specific ones.  For example, highlighting characters in fighting games, whilst it can be done with pre-recorded voices, was actually easier for me at least with audio samples.  In Killer Instinct Season 2, they had an audio sample when you scrolled and once you knew what sample related to which character, moving through the screen, even as it expanded, was easy enough.  However, Season 3 removed these audio cues and that meant that the screen had to be relearned which, whilst it wasn't easy, made sense.  The fact that you can back out if you haven't selected a costume/colour also helps as then you don't get stuck with a character you did not intend to pick.

Utilising pre-recorded character announcements within this setting may ease the process when highlighting characters, but again, it could be a toggle to allow for those who want to learn the screen or use synthesised speech to do the same possibly.

Sometimes though as others commenting here have pointed out, it would be better to convey information such as health, cooldown timers etc via sound cues, most games have health cues in one form or other Gears has a cue when you're DBNO (Down But Not Out) meaning that you have to be revived), God Of War has cues for when your health is at a dangerously low level etc.  It's mostly elements like targeting and navigation of areas that need to be worked on in game development (a gross simplification of course) but those are normally the greatest obstacles as well as picking up/interacting with objects.  Fortunately Crackdown 3 shows that combat that allows for a lock0on is great for accessibility, even if at times your guns don't have the necessary range.  All that would be needed to improve that element is increase the vertical range of the lock to be able to target enemies above/below you more easily.

@6:
I haven't seen that article before.  Interesting point of view but it does make me wonder whether differences in experience with mainstream games etc could alter the perception of outcomes like this, in that those players may never have seen a game on PC with SAPI usage etc that allowed for flexibility, changing speed, as opposed to the IOS equivalent that they cite which makes it appear as though those gamers hadn't seen the potential applications that a voice-over compatible interface could afford.  That and the developers apparent misunderstanding of how voiceover works in the first place (in that they say it uses the "Siri voice" which in fact is not accurate).

@9:
I think conveying the type of element (i.e. checkbox, slider etc isn't strictly necessary, but it could certainly be a toggle in accessibility options to take the cognitive strain off for those who want it).  Just having the states (on/off yes/no etc) announced as I scroll through the options menus is usually enough for me.  The only instance I can see this changing is when you have a button that opens a separate menu (see Crackdown 3's HDR settings).  Ideally, that button would disappear when the HDR display was off, but as it doesn't, having it read as (HDR settings button, unavailable) or similar might indicate that you need to turn the HDR display on first, which I realised was the case and might have saved me a few second before realising and turning it on to have a look at what settings were in that additional area.
@24:
I know exactly what you mean about Narrator ducking the audio, it's probably killed me in one form or another on a few occasions.  It's such a shame that it also impacts Game DVR recordings too, as when I get an achievement, the audio ducks and the end of the gameplay I've just recorded is much quieter than the rest.

Who knows though maybe if the suggestion is put to the right individuals at Microsoft they could add an option if it's not in there already?