Re: How should mainstream developers make interfaces accessible?

Yes precisely, and because the recorded voice is the recorded voice and the synthesized voice can be sped up, I would need information as fast as it can be given or as fast as I can take it if that makes sense, so that I can make rapid decisions on how to proceed rather than waiting for normal voice recorded speech, OK I might be able to predict what they're saying before they finish, but then its going to be louder over top the game sounds or they might duck the game sounds under the voices which is really bad IMO.

I'm generally not a fan of ducking, though I see the use of it, for example, certain things can be so loud that you literally can't hear your speech, so in such an instant, ducking is OK. That's why On NVDA on windows, a key shortcut to turn that on or off exists, that way you can quickly duck it if needed, but then return to normal. The same with the ducking on my iPhone. I put it in the VoiceOver rotor for when I literally can't hear my speech, I turn it on to resolve that issue, then turn it right back off again because in general, I can do sound and speech at the same time without issue.

I feel like some people leave the autoducking on permanently, which is cool, but I would think most gamers would actually not want sound ducked under speech. I may not have an XBOX, but I have heard recordings of gameplay done on one and when people have narrator on, notifications are spoken in game and the game sounds are ducked down to accommodate the speech. That is not necessary though, and could just screw your chance of survival or whatever you're doing. Something might happen in those few seconds that you didn't hear because the speech forced the sound to duck under it.

So I guess the TL;DR is if stuff already in game, use it, if not, use synthetic speech as we can crank it and please give option to not duck sound under speech.