Re: Honest discussion, why pay for and use jaws over free screen readers?

well, it really depends. I have not experienced performance issues with NVDA; probably because i rarely use word now or any office products (they are nice to have around for the occasional job letter or whatever, but that's it) and still, no huge lags.
And well, now, here we go:

Lime Aloud, Sonar, and the Quickbooks scripts are 3 Jaws scripts professionals use every day that NVDA does not have.

really? firstly, I have never heard of quickbooks in my life, have no idea what that is. I am a professional musician and use reaper every day, and most of my other colleagues (including industry professionals use protools, not sonar, every day-- most blind folk nowadays use reaper too)
Lime aloud.. tried it a few times for classes I gave and was very inaccurate, no matter their claims, its much better if you transcribe or write music yourself and stick to more open, flexible formats which even the legendary famous commercial music notation package (used almost every day by most editorials), finale, uses to convert things into music braille (if its been still used at all)
point is, there are a growing number of  available tools (lilypond comes to mind) with which I have been doing much professional sheet music work(every day) from duo to full big band arrangements, things that have been played either on recording sessions and bigger local festivals and so on. They do not cost a single penny. True, there is a  lot of mental and brain muscle work involved with some of those, but its reliable, efficient, always there (and I am not implying that dancing dots is not) but if one day it decides to quit I really doubt they would let those programs live--true you get a bit better support, but then again we have mailing lists and forums, and the opening of the community as a whole really helps when coming up with creative workflows and the like, something that is really seldom seen in commercial solutions.. so all of this just leaves me with a thought and that is:
companies should of course charge for their stuff, and they can make it closed source and the like if they wish which is fine, but they should never leave out the community aspect of things, including their user base. Only companies I know that have been successful at this are cockos, which is a small business that makes and maintains reaper, and pg music. The key to the success in their products is that they give the user as much flexibility as possible without really compromising their formulas or products, and they actually do listen to user feedback, they do have forums for the discussion and improvement of their products with more flexible payment policies.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : MasterOfDeath via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : targor via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : pool via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : redfox via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : redfox via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : DaddySpice via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : GauravSharma via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Thatguy via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : rashad via Audiogames-reflector