Re: Honest discussion, why pay for and use jaws over free screen readers?

I agree with post 10. So what you're saying is that we should throw out all the servers that run Linux which makes up about 90% of the Internet because they could be security risks? Tell that to the tons of companies that use Linux to run their systems.

If anything, open source is even better. Those who know what they're doing can look at the source code for any NVDA add-on or the screen reader itself and see exactly what it does. With Freedom Scientific, you're given a product and told it works a certain way. However, they could be doing all sorts of nasty things behind the scenes that no one is aware of.

I think the issue is also a lack of awareness. People don't know that other options exist because they either aren't told, or aren't curious enough to investigate for themselves. Freedom Scientific is still trying to use a business model that's over 20 years old. They're going to get a rude awakening in a few years once Windows 10 has become the primary desktop operating system for consumers and businesses. If Microsoft continues to improve Narrator, why pay for an expensive solution like JAWS when you can either use the free and open source NVDA or Narrator which will bebuilt into all new Windows installations? Microsoft will also offer free support for Narrator users and companies that's better than Freedom Scientific. I'm sorry, but Freedom Scientific technical support is a joke. They have always been less than helpful when I contacted them. Granted, I'm not a JAWS user and i've only done that a couple of times, but the responses and attitudes I got from them were less than satisfying.

Would someone please inform me what kind of security risks NVDA could pose? The default installation works very well, and you shouldn't have too many issues if you're running from a limited user account with limited permissions( which is what you should be doing if you're working for a company anyway). Use a little common sense here. Don't install random add-ons from unknown or untrustworthy places or people.

As for scripts, let's stop using band-aid solutions to fix problems. There are tools and guidelines out there on how to make software accessible out of the box. If one piece of software doesn't work well and the developer is unwilling to improve it, there are a hundred others out there that do the same thing.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : redfox via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : DaddySpice via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : GauravSharma via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Thatguy via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : rashad via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : TheGreatCarver via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : DaddySpice via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Slender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Slender via Audiogames-reflector