question about mapping games

Hi,
So I'm finding I have a lot of trouble with games where there is a big map.  Right now, I'm struggling with shadow rine, but I have the ssame problem with games like BK1, Sarah and the ccastle, shades of dume, ETC. Basically anything that has a complex map.  any suggestions?  I can never find my way/remember where I've been.  the biggest problem is that there are too many turns and I often circle right back to where I've been.