Re: A question about reasons... think before posting

Hello,
Amusingly, for the first year, before the issues of virus detectors getting sensative, I was in the "bgt is fine leave me alone" category.
There was only two reasons behind this:
1. I knew what I was talking about with BGT. It was simple to understand, has a nice layout with braces, and the error messages are generally amusing, in a geeky kind of way.
2. Fear. With a new language comes fear of screwing up. BGT is a beginners language. It stops you from screwing up too badly. It's not that easy to use up all the memories computer, corrupt the hard drive, or blow up a spacecraft using BGT. Sure, you can do it, but it's not *easy( to do.

To that end though, I wanted to comment on post 3 a bit, and go over my personal experience having switched from bgt to other languages:
1. the challenge: I can see that. I like a challenge myself, but so far python, and other languages, are still providing that without limiting myself too much.
2. Compilation: Well... BGT's compile didn't just compile. It error checked, then compiled into an exe file. Pyinstaller just does the latter. that's why you run the script first as a python file, to error check, then you pyinstaller it. Which kind of ties into number 1, great challenge!
3. I can't disagree with this at all. BGT's compression is amazing to see, and i do miss it. Though I also know that other languages can beat BGT, I'm just not quite brave enough to learn them. YET!
4. I'd say a good 85 percent of languages compile to computer machine code, and for those that don't, wrappers are available that force them too. Even python can be forced, I *think*, It's just not as easy as BGT. Even with BGT, advanced users reported reverse engineering programs to be laughably easy.
5. Ehh. Language dependant but fair enough. Python pretty much comes with all that bundled too, you just have to know where to look, but... Fair enough.
6. I *completely* disgaree on this one. I've not come across anything (yet), that BGT does faster than python. I'm open to being disproved! Also, long live cython.
7.  Again, I agree with this. the sound library thing is a big reason to stay bgt for a lot of users. But honestly, writing your own sound wrapper is a good excersise to test your understanding of the programming language, and once you've done that, it's just the same as bgt.

Hopefully that didn't come across as me being nitpicky, it is just my personal experience from a different perspective.
I'd say out of all of these, the biggest BGT stay reasons are:
easy to compile,
easy to learn,
sound library support,
speech support for screen readers,
fear.

Reasons not to though, are of course:
speed,
flexibility,
virus checkers,
cross platform support,
native TCP in networking,
and more!

    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sam_Tupy via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : dardar via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : redfox via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : thggamer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sam_Tupy via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nuno69 via Audiogames-reflector