Re: Training Centers

So, I've been at WSB for a little over 3 weeks.

I'm... slightly less terrified of using a stove?

I don't know how much mobility can fit into the rest of this week, but I feel like it's mostly just been testing what I already know, rather than anything I could really gain from. We did walk an area with no sidewalks, thank the light, and hopefully we'll do something with buses today.

Mostly, it's been a recap of everything I did in elementary school. If you've lost your vision later, or didn't receive proper training early on, it's a good place for the basics. But I don't feel like I'm going to leave here able to leave my home on my own, or travel unfamiliar environments or anything like that.
Now, yeah, it's only been 3 weeks. But the impression I get is that, if I stay on, it will be for a vocational program, and at most, there will be another week or two of cooking classes. And, yeah, I'm glad I got those, but efficiency, man! If I'm going to spend half a year or more stuck in an overly rulesy place with people with whom I share only lack of eyesight in common, then I want to come out of it more powerful than I was when I went in. And while getting better at fixing computers in just 4 or 5 months sounds nice, I'm not sure if it sounds nice enough to justify it for someone as introverted as me (I have no interest in working a call center, to put it lightly).

What I'm wondering is, though, does an NFB center do better? From the sounds of their graduation requirements, the answer is an emphatic "maybe". It's portrayed as a 6 month program, but I'd rather not waste a month showing off and learning little more than how to use a stove. (can we throw in a mop and a broom, at least?)

I've been considering going back to college, too. I'm wondering if I couldn't get more out of my time that way (especially if I can find someone to just give me the NFB's mobility graduation test repeatedly until I am become ninja).

But at this point, I'm lost enough that I'm not even convinced on the rational-seeming strategy of just leaving WSB after the evaluation.

So I suppose what I need to know is: seriously, is the NFB's training awesome enough to be worth me spending most of 2014 there instead of desperately trying to beat myself back onto last year's schedule?
I have to assume they cover everything WSB has covered, at least. But do they go farther? How much farther? How quickly? What kinds of restrictions are involved with living on campus? can I take off the sleep shades when I'm not in class? Will there be some actual manics around so that the place is more motivating and less depressing when compared with WSB? Will there be [strikethrough]cult[/strikethrough]Group meetings, and will they be as annoying as WSB's?

Do we have any NFB Center alums to provide anecdotes or answer questions, hereabouts?