Re: Accessible Sound Design by Ebon Sky Studios - Third Lesson Up

Something here I'm not getting about the Peak meter.
I am setting the master for the 1st monitored track, and my impact track for the 2nd. When I solo the Impact track, I have a peak value of exactly 0 db.
When I solo my woosh track, I get negative 3 db or so.
When I have both tracks active, the peak meters show 1.6 and 2.0 for master and impact tracks, respectivly.
I am resetting both tracks with alt f7 and alt shift f7, then playing the audio to get the peak reporting, this after using control shift w to set up the peak meter monitoring.
Also,, I have included the beginning of my lesson 3 reaper project here, as the compression doesn't seem to be doing what I thought it would do.
Shouldn't the db go up as I turn the ratio down, in other words it is squashing the singal less the lower the ratio?
I am trying to get the volume to zero db peak just with the compressor, but it doesn't seem to be getting there no matter what I do with the compressor values.
Obviously I am missing something basic here about compression and/or the peak meter, any help greatly appreciated.
Also, a big time saving tip here: once you have an effect added to a track, you can simply hit the P key on that track to open up parameters in an easy to navigate interface and adjust your values. A huge time saver when needing to adjust, then check peaks and back and forth.
For instance, on my impact track, I hit p, then arrow to my ReaComp effect, hit enter, then I can left and right arrow to the various parameters, and tab down to adjust the actual values.
Hope that saves some of you all some time, I know I find it way more efficient than hitting f, then having to tab all over the place.
Thanks for any feedback, here is the project thus far:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hx4ydxm66b94a … 1.zip?dl=1

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : UltraLeetJ via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : UltraLeetJ via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : UltraLeetJ via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Che via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : UltraLeetJ via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daisyalesoundworks via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daisyalesoundworks via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daisyalesoundworks via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : UltraLeetJ via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Giovani via Audiogames-reflector