Re: the Worst Audiogames ever?

I have a soft spot for Grizzley Gulch as well, but I played it when I was like, 9. Back then, it was pretty new. While I wasn't old enough to really get intellectually involved with the game, I couldn't believe that it used stereo panning to convey things. That was like a huge revelation to my kid brain.

When I was like 12-13, and was playing it on a friend's computer, I gradually came to understand what I had to do. I could never get past those darn rattlesnakes, though. I think I downloaded an iso of it somewhere much later, and actually beat it, but I can't remember if I actually beat it or just listened to the wav sound files to know more or less what the ending was like, because yeah, I was that kind of kid, always trying to see if I could listen to the sounds before finishing the game.

I'm not super proud of this, but in a way it was kinda helpful, since for some reason, when I heard Super Liam's X1 battle sounds, isolated, I instantly figured out what I was supposed to do. Before that, I had no idea. Part of me wishes I hadn't done that, and part of me is proud that my 12-year-old brain could put 2 and 2 together when I listened to the sounds, since back then I wasn't very smart because I was not accustomed to working out patterns, I just liked targetting and shooting and avoiding. These days, I couldn't do that with games having encrypted sounds, and I have way more patience and methodical reasoning skills than I did back then, so I am generally able to figure simple patterns out without needing to hear things in isolation, though I must confess the bk2 and bk3 games stretch me a bit. But, that's kinda intended.

Anyway, back to worst audio games. I could never call Bavisoft games horrible, and since I am easily impressed, I could never call any game horrible really. I am envious of people who can make any game, and I really wish I could make my own, so I have a soft spot for anyone who is willing to try. There are some developers whose practices I have little respect for, but I do not at all let this sway my opinions of their games.