Re: I think we need longer topic tittles.

I agree with what many people say, however I have run into the limit before. For the record, I tested said limit and you only have 70 characters for your topic title.

I do understand that 70 characters is enough to post a summary or title to most ideas. But I can also see why it isn't. When posting about a technical topic, or a topic that involves several things at once, where a more verbose subject seems appropriate, I tend to like to post longer titles with the belief that a detailed title will let you know right away if you're interested in the thread or not.

Here's an example: When I made my "how to make your old games sound the way they were intended to sound" article, I had to fight with it a little to come up with a title that would fit. The title I gave above is 68 characters. It fits, though, and is ultimately what I settled on. But I'll describe my thought process to get there:

At first I wanted to use something like "how to get back hardware accelerated sound on modern versions of Windows," then I realized that not only was this too long, but people wouldn't know what I'm talking about. Then I tried something like, "how to make your old games sound the way they were intended to sound on modern versions of Windows." That's even longer, but it's clearer. Then I tried something like "how to make your old games sound as intended on modern versions of Windows." Nope, still too long. In the end, I ended up removing the "on modern versions of Windows" part, and then I stated clearly in the introduction that it is intended for modern versions of Windows. Despite my worries at the time, this probably has no baring at all on the impressions of the article. But I just like having detailed titles. That way, people know exactly what they're getting into before they even click on a topic.

On other forums I'm on, at least the one where I have written a long title or two, there doesn't seem to be a limit, or at least, the limit is longer than it is on this forum. However a character limit presents an interesting challenge, as now I have to pack a detailed description into 70 characters. It's good practice on condensing your thoughts, if nothing else. In any case, some people don't check to make sure their title fits in the limit. For me, that's more annoying than the limit itself.

I should probably state that I'm not advocating super long titles. I understand that brevity is something valuable that we all must learn to attain to some degree. Even so, I'm verbose myself. I hate removing words for the sake of condensing something. I don't hate it because I'm opposed to it, I hate it because I'm afraid of how my message will come across once I remove words. But this is just a personal quirk I have. I envy people who don't have the compulsion to write down every detail which crosses their mind. Lol
Edit: removed android example and replaced with a more practical one that I actually had to think through when posting a thread.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : an idiot via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : blindaudiogamer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : blindaudiogamer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : turtlepower17 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : mazen via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Mayana via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : musicalman via Audiogames-reflector