Re: Stop punishing developers trying to make their games accessible

* you deal with different types of games by providing toolkits that have components that can be used in different kinds of games. Some components won't really be necessary for sone games. Having a tool kit with tons of tools for a wide variety of situations allows for the devs to have a wider set of options, without having to build everything from scratch.

But when someone comes up with a great accessibility solution, we should be trying to make that an open source framework so that in most cases it can just be applied easily, and in others it can be adjusted for specific circumstances.

It's important to understand that this is a progressive, community development. But the alternative is losing accessibility solutions to time and developers leaving the community.

* You give devs the choice, but put pressure on them to comply through competition. Colors, the game I'm working on, intends to do this by having a highly accessible experience. By making an example out of ourselves, we cause the public to ask, why isn't AAA using this? We encourage adoption through simplicity and reducing work (automation). They don't have to use maxseer specifically, they can just make their own framework based on the specifications.

* regarding authority, I think that having a main branch of the maxseer project is acceptable, but I want to promote the development of forks for specific design cases. Development should be decentralized and open, and based through spreading information in interested communities. Perhaps a maxseer forum or something. This could also be the origin of the official specifications. How this would work in practice, I'm not sure. But there should be minimized authority imho.

Specifications could be a good idea in addition, maxseer is essentially a specification that has a framework built around it, but a problem with in house solutions is that they still require a large amount of development that is unlikely to be encouraged if the market shifts away from accessibility for some reason. So having an actual usable framework as well is vital. Also, it encourages indie implementation of accessibility.

Pardon me if I'm a bit rough around the edges but I think maxseer is essentially trying to be a specification, I just didn't think about it that way. I'm not really sure what's wrong with having the development of both because indies will at least always have a free to use option.

I knew what your NFB joke was. Lol

Listen, I'm willing to develop this technology, but I need help from both communities to actually make it successful. If anyone actually gives a shit about accessibility its worth a shot, right?

je97 wrote:

Why does everyone hate the NFB? What have they actually done?

lol nothing that's why everyone gets miffed. mostly loud barking noises. Although I think they have had a few accomplishments as an organization.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : je97 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : The Dwarfer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : tayo . bethel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : zakc93 via Audiogames-reflector