Re: What is wrong with the NFB?

The only thing I take issue with there is the fact that people will automatically be intimidated just because they might have varying degrees of vision. At the center I went to, there were at least 3 people who were losing their sight due to a variety of conditions. As a person who has had only light perception all my life, I was going there to gain confidence in skills I didn't have much experience in, i.e. mobility and cooking/home management stuff, mainly. When the others saw that I was confident using a cane inside a building, reading Braille, and just generally being a normal human being, they tended to rally around me. It made me very uncomfortable, God knows I'm not anybody's fucking role model, but the fact of the matter is that you don't all have to be brought to the same level to encourage bonding, or even seeing how the other half lives. It honestly worries me that everyone at these NFB centers are meant to be carbon copies of each other. It seems to me that, if you slap a blindfold on a person with some usable vision, but also do the same to someone who has none and never has, just to make it fair, you're setting a dangerous precedent. Namely, if you have no vision, those who do are somehow inferior, and they need to find out the hard way that it's not all it's cracked up to be. I definitely see some hostility in such a stance. Even if that's not what they're aiming for, they have a funny way of showing it.