Re: What is wrong with the NFB?

That, however, circles back to one important question. Why is that the only "right way?" There just isn't enough research which validates the claim that the NFB's training methods are any better or worse than others. Sure, they talk a big game, and say that a large percentage, the number escapes me now, of center graduates are employed, as opposed to blind people who either had no training whatsoever or used methods which weren't related to structured discovery. however, as has been proven time and time again, actual cold, hard facts regarding quality of life, never mind employment, for blind people are thin on the ground. Their claims are dubious at best, and I feel that it's doing people a disservice who are searching for help with these kinds of skills.

Also, when you wear a blindfold all day, that thing has to be grungy as hell by the time you take it off. I remember when I played goalball, and we had to wear those blacked-out goggles. They were all sweaty and gross by the end of a game or practice. I honestly can't imagine being forced to keep it on for an even more extended period of time.