Re: What is wrong with the NFB?

Yup. You're talking about a bit more of an extreme version of what I'm on about.
I take the points you're making and I mostly agree with them, actually. If NFB does precisely that, then that's something of an issue. ditto to anyone else.
What I'm saying is that when it comes to things like talent shows, I'm willing to give you some points, at least, for coming out and trying. That takes courage, and unless you are a complete and utter disaster up there, then you made something of yourself and deserve recognition. Do you deserve to win just for showing up? Nope. But recognizing your effort is a good thing.
If I'm judging, I'm not going to say "You were really really good, but you didn't quite make it" to someone who clearly needs a lot of work. If my opinion is sought, I'm going to say something like, "We had a lot of good competition this year. I'm really glad that you came out and gave it a try. Try to work a bit more on such-and-such, because we'd love to see what you can do next year." That doesn't actually tell them they were awesome - quite the opposite - but it doesn't spit in their face either. Because I want them to feel glad that they tried, glad that they came out.
And if we're talking a straight-up talent show, not a competition, then the best way to set that up is to do auditions beforehand, and cut the weakest. If that isn't done, then it's more about anyone who has courage coming up and doing whatever it is they do. And at that point it stops being about competition and starts being about bravery and public performance and all that jazz.