Re: Blind Developers Working Full-Time

Are you working for a company?
- Yes, currently I am, although I am also considering freelance work at present.

Are you doing contract work?
Not yet, although I am seriously considering that.

What area of development does your work focus on (web development, database management, AI, etc)?
I've pretty much always been a back end web developer. PHP, Python, Ruby , c# .NET and _javascript_ are top contenders for the work I tend to do.
However, more and more application logic is moving to the front end, where frameworks like VueJS and React are powering a large part of the applications out there. So I am also teaching myself those in my spare time.

Do you like where you work?
Given I will end my contract with this company in a few days I would say no, not really. I used to, but company management decisions have ruined the company culture for me .

Is their in-house software accessible?
Most of the companies I have worked for really don't give a shit about accessibility, I am sorry to say. It's not important to them, they nave no budget for it, their demographic doesn't need it, on and on and on. I tend to try to fix things as I go along but it's a one-man effort most of the time.
As for tooling, that really depends on the company.

What's the culture like?
This company I work at right now is very laid back, which is good in some respects and bad in others. In this case, there's a sort of laxity to the whole place where they aren't very pushed to do well because they make money anyway.

What do you do on a day-to-day basis?
It varies. I build features, fix bugs,  test new functionality, give colleagues code reviews, process their code reviews for me, etc.

What made you choose to work for that company?
The tech stack they had seemed cool, they seemed pretty professional. The market they were in was new to me and it intrigued me so I figured I'd give it a go. I worked there for a year.

What did you major in college?
Bachelor of IT