Re: Keeping Track of a game's storyline/objectivs

When you get down to it, you're talking conditionals. The best way I've simplified those, related to story and objectives, is with bitwise operators. If you have more than 64 bits of information, more than one var might be needed, but the ability to shove both integer values and boolean values into a single primitive goes a long way.
... For me. Your mileage may vary. I also tend to use "stage" and "plot" variables when I can expect some degree of linearity, fwiw.