Memory usage in Python?

I have posted a topic a while back that asked about the best way to save items in Python. So far, I believe that I will use the "visited" approach, meaning every time the player leaves or enters a map, several things will happen.
1: The player enters and the name of the map will be checked against an internal dictionary containing map item and possibly NPC states. If the name is found, then the map item and NPC lists will be overwritten. If the name is not found, the game will read the map files to determine map state.
2: The player leaves and the same process is performed, except if the name is found, the two lists will be checked for equality and overwritten only if the current one is newer than the one located in the dictionary. If the name is not found, then the map name and it's info will be added to the ever-growing information.
3: Whenever the player saves, the dictionary of map info will be exported with the file.
This all sounds good on paper, but I'm not sure of how practical this would be. I'm planning to pickle the lists and encrypt them when I save and to do the opposite when loading the information back into the game. Can anyone point out any flaws they see with this approach and how would you go about fixing those flaws? My worry is the eventual memory size of the dictionary. I have not managed to find any information on the maximum memory available in Python and that's why I'm asking this on here.