Re: Goodbye Windows XP, i still get nistalgic over you.

Well, I have done some experimentation with the time limited Windows XP virtual machines downloadable from modern.ie.

And if it is of interest to anyone, here is what I have found so far.

The virtual machines are available for different virtualization software including Virtualbox, VMWare and Virtual PC.

The interesting part here is that the disk images are of VMDK type but in stream optimized format meaning that you can't mount or edit them directly.

But what you can do is converting them with VMWare's Virtual Disk Manager.

vmware-vdiskmanager -r input.vmdk -t 0 output.vmdk

Now wait one moment for the conversion process to complete.

Mount or open the new image output.vmdk and look inside.

There is the familiar root folder structure i.e Windows, Program Files, Documents and settings.

You may now use Winmount, Winimage or another virtual machine to inject NVDA or another screen reader.

The activation clock does n ot count until the virtual machine itself has been powered on for the first time so you can just save the clean preboot state as snapshot and start over again before the end of the 30 days.

Now you can use Windows XP forever without activation, cracks or wasting your genuine product key.

Hope that this solution helps someone.