Asteria: a new fantasy MUD

Hi all. Thanks to reddit, /r/mud, I found a new one we can play: Asteria. It is fantasy themed, but seems very original, not borrowing anything from norse mythology like some others. It has plentiful quests, and is made on an original code base, which means even the programming is original.

From https://asteriamud.fandom.com/wiki/AsteriaMUD_Wiki:

Asteria is a new MUD (Multi-User Dungeon), also known as a text-based, online role-playing game. Create your own unique character and forge alliances with others, as you explore a rich and immersive fantasy world that is filled with opportunities for questing, battle, crafting, economics, politics, and more.

If you wish to be part of a growing community, please join us!

To connect to Asteria, please connect with your favorite MUD client at asteriamud.com: 1111

For screen reader users, the game is really good about less spam, and I can even play it on Mac's Terminal with TDSR without too much of a fear of unexpectedly dying without a sound pack. Just turn off the prompt, turn the combat prompt off, and set combat text to brief with the config command options.

Combat, then, is handled like this:

You "advance" or just "ad" to your target. So,

ad mouse

Then, attacking is more manual. You do have a balance system, usually takes three seconds. To attack, just press "A", then enter. pretty easy.

Yes, there's also magic. Cast spell, then target it to complete the casting.

Among other things, there are guilds, foraging, and plenty of exploration. Quests are rather good, because while it is more of "find object and bring it to NPC", there are still great reasons involved.

One involves repairing a road, and you feel at home in your village because of it. Another involves getting a bail of hay so a kid can jump onto the roof of a hut to play with his friends. Others involve killing a mob, or 4 or 5 or 6 mobs. Luckily, it hasn't reached Squaresoft MUD levels of "kill 90 mobs that may have already been killed or they aren't all there so you just gotta wait and hope no others get there first when they respawn."

-----

Opinions below:

So, I'm only at level 5 or so, and really love this game so far. The simple plain text, great descriptions, easy combat, and rewarding quests make it really good. I don't know if it'll replace Clok for me, but for now, it comes closer to "a good MUD" than a lot of classed, leveled ones I've played.