Re: Manamon 2: Impressions Thread

So honestly, I don't care if you make reference to animals. Saying that a manamon is foxlike, or catlike, or horselike. I don't care. It's a little unoriginal, and you could tell me this instead, but fine. Okay.
But when you start telling me it looks like a St. Bernard, you're really starting to bust the fourth wall. St. Bernards don't exist in Tangeria or Kiarre because ostensibly the name is of an earthly origin (our universe, not theirs).
Then you have things like cows in kimonos and business suits, electric poles with wires wrapped around them, "happy ice fish", all kinds of stuff really. There are some well-designed manamon, and I'm not giving the pokemon series a pass here (seriously, the Vanillite line is just one example, but Garbodor is another). But some of these could really, really have done with some extra work. You had three years.

I think the one that gripes me personally the most is Dageetle, a crushing-together of "dagger" and "beetle" that's supposed to be a holy type. Point 1: it doesn't even get Holy Claw, which strikes me as just thematically weird. Point 2: This is just really, really clumsy. I actually suggested an insect-holy type, I would've called it Vespar, Vespa or Vespi, something like that. Here's the fun part with that name; it's a play on the German word for wasp, and Vespers is one of the prayers for Roman Catholic monks, which you absolutely do not have to know about in order to play the game. It's a bit fourth-wall weird, I'll grant you, but to me, at least it's better than freaking Dageetle.

This is the sort of feeling that makes me want to build my own game of this type. First of all, it would shut the people up who think I'm just here to spit on Aaron's hard work (there are a couple, and Aaron himself appears to have been one of them at some point). For another thing, I truly believe that I could do creature design, script, story and such a whole lot better. Of course, then we run the risk of flooding the community with more clones (borrowing the same concept and just reusing it). And I also can't code a lick. But I seriously have like half a pokedex/manapedia written out. It's a crying shame that it's all for naught.

If there is a manamon 3, I would dearly love to be added to the beta team, as I truly believe I'd be able to help design creatures, balance moves and generally comment on gameplay.

Anyway, I digress.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : darren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : darren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : darren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Anya Kristen via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Loxias via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : flameAlchemist via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Honk via Audiogames-reflector