Re: Manamon 2: Impressions Thread

At the end of the day, it is indeed that $40 price tag that makes us demand better from the game, and it seems like those demands aren't being met.
I'll be proud enough to claim that I was one of those that said that I wish I would've been consulted to help with this game. Not because I think my skills as an audio editor are beyond anyone else's, I indeed think myself a mediocre talent in this field. I am however like Jayde, in that we're both perfectionists and have multitudes. In this case, people like myself and Jayde would've been able to also review the script had we been on the team in one capacity or another.
Aaron has always set higher prices on his games than most other audiogames developers. If we're talking superiority complex, this is where we need to look at. When you set your purchase price beyond that of your competitors, you are declaring that your product is good enough to warrant the increased expenditure. If this is the case, it isn't unreasonable to expect better script editing, better sound design, better post release support, better balancing, etc.
I rather compare this phenomenon to ordering a hamburger at McDonalds verses buying one at an Applebees. The hamburger at McDonalds only costs 5 bucks, but the one at Applebees costs around 12. You'd expect the $12 hamburger to blow away the $5 hamburger, wouldn't you? You get fewer options for customization with the $5 hamburger, but with the $12 burger, it's expected that you'll have a few more options. The McDonalds burger gives you the support of the guy at the counter taking your order. The Applebees product gives you the support of a friendly host who shows you to a table, as well as a good waitress who takes your order and makes sure you're enjoying your time at their establishment.
We're buying an Applebees priced game, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Applebees service. Heck, if people who are selling McDonalds games are providing good service and support for their games, it can't be that bad of an expectation when the price scales up, right?
I'm in no way a hardcore Manamon gamer, so I'm less aware of the balancing between the various moves and creatures (purely out of lack of interest). I am however a literary nerd and a hobbyist sound designer, so I notice these aspects when they stand out as sub par.

Kai

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Honk via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dungeon Diver via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dungeon Diver via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Soul Keeper via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Soul Keeper via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dungeon Diver via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : darren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Honk via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : darren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dungeon Diver via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dungeon Diver via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : josephweakland via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dungeon Diver via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Soul Keeper via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : faylen via Audiogames-reflector