Re: Trying out Linux.

Hello to all,

I think I'll chime in with my experience with Linux, and why I am considering returning to Windows.

To start, I have been running Linux as my main operating system at home since 2011. Accessibility of Linux has improoved in leaps and bounds since then, but it is not quite up to the level of windows. For example, Chrome doesn't yet work with Orca, but I have heard support is being worked on. Electron apps do not work either, so apps like Skype or Visual Studio Code do not yet work. Linux does have its good points. If you use a lot of commandline programs, programs like Speakup or BRLTTY work great. If I were going to rate the big three operating systems in terms of accessibility, it would look something like this: Windows, Linux, and Mac. Mac gets third because of the screwed up braille support.

All that being said, I think Linux has the right idea especially when it comes to letting you, the user, control your computer. If I had to pick an operating system purely on accessibility, I would have to go with Windows. I personally am trying to decide if I want to give up some user freedoms to get a more productive setup.

These are just my thoughts, and your experience with Linux may be much different.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Exodus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : swigjr23 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : queenslight via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : queenslight via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : swigjr23 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : thetechguy via Audiogames-reflector