Re: king of dragon's past, is it worth the price tag

Hi smoothgunner.

I'm not sure who told you that King of dragon pass is "similar to choice based games that you can download for free," since that simply is not true.

The game is far more complex than anything choice based, and as people have said, has elements of resource management, turn based rpg strategic battles and detailed exploration.
Even the choices are far more complicated, since you have a lot of factors to consider, resources, gods, clan management  and how they might effect your people down the line, oh not to mention a very lovely soundtrack too which I actually listen to quite often on its own big_smile.

It was King of  dragon pass that largely encouraged me to start on Ios in 2012, and I haven't regretted it at all.

The one thing I will say though, is the game's learning curve is difficult.
What I've seen happen with many people (myself included), is they begin initially, struggle to get used to the massive amount of information and all the different activities in the game, then get a handle on things only to find that things arent' working out well.
this is because Kodp has something of a double learning curve, first learning the game and world, the different gods and how things work, then! after that being able to put things together, cope with down turns in fortune when they arise and plan correctly, since in Kodp iIt's more than a matter of just learning the best way to minimax resources or just wail away with overwhelming force, Kodp actually forces you to think like an Orlanthi, think about what will offend other clans or how the opinions  the worshippers of different gods biase their advice.

that was indeed why I recorded the podcast which can be found Here on the audiogames archive, in a hope to make people's entry into the game a little easier.
Also don't forget the King of dragon pass wiki found here, which is a very handy resource, albeit browse carefully.

So, basically yes, Kodp is well worth the time, very few games I've seen have literally taken my attention quite as completely for days at a time, however, be aware before you start that this isn't the sort of game you can just breeze through quickly or expect to learn the basics of in a day or so.

Hth.

Btw, I have the sequel, six ages on my Iphone but haven't got into it myself yet, not because I don't think it'll be a good game, but just because I haven't yet set aside the week or so I expect to need to learn my way around, even with my previous Kodp experiences if that tells you anything.

    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Mirage via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : shane via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : mojsior via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : tayo . bethel via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : zkline via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : tayo . bethel via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : zkline via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : tayo . bethel via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : zakc93 via Audiogames-reflector