Can someone explain the forum's ranking system?

Hi.
So I've been using the forum for just over a year now, and I was wondering one thing. What is the purpose of having things like Shades of Newbie, Galaxy Stranger, and all the other ranks? Do these serve any purpose? Do they say anything about the posters? Or is it just a thing they do? Thanks

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : rwbeardjr via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Lawrence_McSu via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Ty via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : manamon_player via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : redfox via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : rwbeardjr via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Lawrence_McSu via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mazen via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Ty via Audiogames-reflector