Re: Opinions on the victer reader stream

Okay, here we go!

The first generation Stream uses mini USB for data transfer. Be aware that it uses USB 1.1, which is extremely! slow! If you thought USB 2.0 was bad, this is much worse! I suggest taking the SD card out and writing to it directly.

The unit also requires a proprietary power adapter. I'm not sure what the correct voltage is, but be careful. Also, good luck finding new batteries if the one you have goes bad.

As far as I know, the only English voices the first generation can use are Tom, Samantha, and Daniel. I personally prefer Tom, but that's me. It's using the compact versions of these voices, so the quality won't be the best. I'll put some links here if you want to flash a different version of the firmware. In order to do this, unzip the zip archive and put the file on the SD card. Plug the stream into power and turn it on. It should automatically detect andinstall the firmware. Here's the link to the firmware containing Samantha and Tom. http://support.humanware.com/Site/Files … -3_5_4.zip
Here's the other file containing the Samantha and Daniel voices. http://support.humanware.com/Site/Files … -3_5_4.zip

Here are my thoughts on the Stream models. I love the product, but Humanware is horrible when it comes to supporting their devices! I love the second generation Stream, but they haven't come out with any major Wi-Fi upgrades in over 2 years. I wanted a lot of cool things like browsing network shares, turning the device into a network folder to transfer content, sending audio to AirPlay and Chromecast devices, etc. Sadly, it looks like they aren't doing that anytime soon or ever. I have no plans to purchase the Trek or any future HUmanware device because quite honestly, they never develop their products to their full potential. The Trek hasn't received any major features in over 2 years, so meh.

I like the offline playback a lot, but what I was really looking forward to was the online capabilities. Sadly, Humanware has failed to deliver something really cool. SUre, it's cool you can download podcasts, books, and listen to web radio, but I wanted so much more that should be possible, even with the relatively limited processor on the device. Speaking of which, I'd be really curious to know the processor speed and RAM for all the Stream units.