Re: Why is assistive technology so expensive?

Hi.

As a trainee in the salesman department I can understand whz prices are so high, or at leased higher then someone would expect.

You have your build costs for the devices, so the general casing for example for a braille display.
you need to pay for the braille cells, which are expensive as hel, I don't know any real prices of course because companys keep those under raps, but I heard that one of the piezo electric ones are about 50 euros per cell or per 6 cells, not sure anympore.
You than have other costs coming in, I will describe them as fixed and variable costs.

Fixed costs are machines to produce certain parts, workers and their monthly wages, power to keep the machines running and in working order and much more.
Variable costs can include advertisements, marketing campaigns, trips to fares and conventions to show off the latest tech, and again, more that I could describe.

Having these info  and data you would need to calculate the costs of producing one braille display against the against the price you want your customers to pay for the device. Also bare in mind that if ensureance companys don't instantly pay the costs for the device, your company might get into products, because I was working in the field of assistive technology for a while I saw that it might take some weeks or months till a device might be fully paied off.

as you see, there are a lot of factors coming into this, so saying that a company is just greedy doesn't really work here.

Greetings Moritz.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ignatriay via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Mitch via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ignatriay via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ignatriay via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ignatriay via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ignatriay via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ignatriay via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : rwbeardjr via Audiogames-reflector