Re: The Eventual Famine

This is exactly why I'm not updating my windows until I have a good reason to. If I'm going to be running xp in a virtual machine anyway in order to get most of my games to run, well I need a dam good reason for all the hassle and  microsoft just haven't given me one yet. I've not really seen any practical bennifit to windows 7, and I don't hear much different about windows 8, indeed from a purely functional perspective I'd be losing outlook express and getting a much more annoying interface it'd be necessary to take time learning with no advantages to any other things I do like web browsing, playing dvds or  audio or word processing.

Frankly microsofts backwards compatibility is crappy and they should be  shot. When you considder I can run dos programs on xp that were written in the late 70's, but windows 8 struggles to run things that were developed even five years ago, and no, I don't accept all the excuses about hardware sinse with the sort of money and time microsoft have they should be able to develop a better system, it's shear laziness and going for flashy interfaces over function and forcing people to upgrade by breaking compatibility.

Of course that doesn't help for the future, and I do hope some sort of component emulator is created, either that or we all move to mac with virtual xp to run legacy games which is likely what will happen if microsoft continue not to give people any good reasons to move to future versions of windows, and by good reasons I mean practical bennifits such as things that can't be done in xp not just scares about the security bogie man or bigger numbers of this that and the other.

This is why I personally believe we'll not see many members of the Vi community moving to newer os until the actual interface changes, for example I can imagine some major bennifits to a desk top touch screen for accessible games, however failing micr osoft fixing their compatibility or developing xp for modern hardware I don't think we're going to see a change in the near future whatever microsoft says.

Certainly if my desktop broke tomorrow I'd likely buy another xp machine, or at most a mac with virtual xp, rather than windows 7 or 8

Whether this will change with 9 I don't know, but not by the trend Microsoft have been following ever sinse 7..

Of course for people who enjoy fiddling with  operating systems for their own sake or programming with the latest components that might be different, however for the majority of casual Vi users I don't see a major change occurring whatever microsoft say they are or are not supporting, and heck, avg have already confirmed that with their internet    security system  xp will be fine for the conceivable future.

  • [Audioga... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: scotf2012
    • Re:... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: aaron
    • Re:... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Haramir
    • Re:... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: scotf2012
    • Re:... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Dark
    • Re:... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Dark
    • Re:... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Dark
    • Re:... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Dark
    • Re:... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: tward
    • Re:... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Dark
    • Re:... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: tward
    • Re:... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Dark
    • Re:... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Aminiel
    • Re:... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Dark
    • Re:... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: blindndangerous
    • Re:... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Dark
    • Re:... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Dark
    • Re:... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: harrylst