Re: Let's talk about windows seven end of life...

So why does Microsoft allow it then if it should never ever be done? Why is there a setting if it's so trivial to have it enabled? More importantly however, how would UAC save you from your C cleaner example? You would still trust the program and allow it to run. I find it mostly useless. Almost every installer, especially the classic ino setup ones request admin rights as soon as they launch for obvious reasons, regardless of where you install an app, so you will basically blindly press yes anyways since at that point you cannot assume every installer out there is unsafe. When it comes to running apps, the story does change, but even then I don't see any benefit in UAC and how it can save me. It's just a yes no prompt, and you don't assume something is dangerous just because it is requesting admin rights. Any system scanning tool will do that, anti viruses do it, our screen readers need admin rights, and many other examples. I view user account control way more useful for cases where multiple users are using one PC and you know for a fact you don't want to allow an account to install apps. For my own use though, I see little benefit. Let people configure their systems the way they want. You can advise somebody, but there's no need to be like never do this or enable that. It's in control panel for a reason, and if MS thought it was that dangerous to disable it it would be in the registry.