Thinking of Trying Alter Aeon Again but Have one Question

Hi. I've tried Alter Aeon before but there's one area that always made me get frustrated and give up. I know practices are used for both training and practicing skills and spells. This always confuses me and makes it hard for me to figure out how much to train or practice. I tend to prefer MUDs like Aardwolf where practices are used for skills and spells, and trains are used for stats. How do you figure out how many practices to use for things? I might come back if I can learn to do this without getting so frustrated.