Re: accessible notebook software for blind and visually impaired?

so I took a uni course in data science and had to work with jupyter lab quite a bit my frustration with jupyter notebooks is pretty much the main reason why I stay away from data science as a topic after suffering with jupyter fro two semesters and its poor accessibility.

initially how I did things was I'd focus a cell, select all, copy, switch to my editor (VS code), paste in empty editor, make my revisions, select all, copy, switch back to jupyter, paste, run the cell, read output, repeat.

as you can imagine this gets frustrating extremely quickly...

luckily my professor helped me develop a less frustrating workflow, although it was still frustrating enough that I decided I don't want to pursue data science.

VS code has support for running jupyter notebooks. there is a specific jupyte notebook extension that I used, but it has become deprecated since the functionality has been moved to the official python extension. although I havent been able to get jupyter notebook support from the python extension to work, but you ight have more luck wink

essentially now the workflow is use jupytext to convert .ipynb notebooks into ,py
open them in vs code with extension that supports jupyter.
each cell is delimited with #%% comments
with the cursor inside a cell you can run it  using command and results are printed to seperate view in vs code.

once happy with notebook,m use jupytext to convert back to .ipynb.

much better workflow, but still has major drawbacks:
* switching between code and results is still a bit finicky.
* you see markdown cells in their raw form, os you dont get the nice clean html you know and love
* works best by connecting to locally running jupyter server, so if you want to make use of cloud computing power of google collab not sure if possible this way. although the extension does allow to connet to remoe jupyter server so might be able to make it work, but I've never tried.

hope this info helps a bit and I hope you'll have a nicer time with data science than I've had.