Re: screenreader landscape in 2014

I've been using jaws since version 3.2 came out circa late 90s. I've been experimenting with NVDA for a few months now and the biggest problem I'm having is breaking the old jaws habbits learned from years of repetition. I still miss Jaws's links list window. I disagree with one of the previous posters who said braille support was the best in Jaws. Another thing NVDA does for me is allowing me to use an old navigator 80 whose functionality FS disabled back in Jaws 11 for some unknown reason. Now with regard to how each screen reader accesses screen content, using dedicated accessibility APIs is good, but unfortunately its not a catch all solution. Jaws's method of screen scraping is particularly useful when dealing with proprietary software packages used in the media industry. NVDA will just say "unknown", where as Jaws will at least give you a bit more information.